Basic Information – Transfer Students

How many classes should I enroll in for my first quarter?

Enroll in three courses, two science classes (Life Science, Math, Chemistry or Physics) and one upper division non-science course.  We strongly discourage you from taking more than two science courses in your first quarter while you’re adjusting to the quarter system.  The third class will provide you with full-time status without overloading you in your first quarter.  You will need those non-major upper division units in any case, since you will need 60 upper division units at UCLA in order to graduate, and the major does not provide that many.

How do my courses transfer?

You can check this even before you transfer by going to www.assist.org.  Biology or Life Sciences courses have varying equivalencies depending on where you took them.

If you took two semesters of calculus it will generally transfer as credit for the life science math requirement.

If you took two semesters of general chemistry with lab, this is usually equal to the entire general chemistry series at UCLA (Chem 20A, 20B, 20L, 30AL).  You should go on to take Chemistry 30A and 30B to complete the Organic Chemistry requirement.  Note that if you are pre-med or pre-pharmacy, you will have to take Chem 30BL and 30C (and sometimes Chem 30CL) to complete all the topics in organic chemistry required by professional schools.

If you also took two semesters of organic chemistry with lab, this is usually equal to Chemistry 30A, 20B, 30BL, 30C, and 30CL, with a few exceptions.  If you’ve taken only one semester of organic chemistry with lab, you will need to go on to take Chem 30B to complete organic chemistry.

If you took three semesters of calculus based physics, this is usually equal to the 6 or 1 series at UCLA.  Check your Degree Audit Report on MyUCLA.  If you took less than this, go to the Physics office at 1707 PAB, and request written confirmation of your equivalency and bring it to the MCDB Undergraduate Counselor and we’ll credit your DAR.

If you have taken two semesters of trigonometry based physics, this will show up on your DAR as title credit.  Usually students can take one quarter of calculus based physics at UCLA to fulfill their physics requirement.  Speak to the MCDB counselor to determine which physics course at UCLA you must take to complete the physics requirement for the major.

When should I see a counselor?

We recommend you come in to the MCDB Undergraduate Office to go over your Degree Audit Report at least once or twice a year.  You can come in any time with questions.  You don’t need an appointment.  If you want to complete a course plan for several quarters, please begin a planner on your own, and bring it with you when you meet with the MCDB Undergraduate Counselor.

If you completed IGETC but haven’t gotten credit for your GE’s on your DAR, or if your American History and Institutions requirement or English Composition requirement is still bolded, check with you College Academic Counseling unit (A-316 Murphy Hall, or AAP, Honors, or Athletics).