MCDB 196A/B Research Apprenticeship I & II
Students who plan to fulfill their MCDB laboratory requirement by completing two consecutive quarters of MCDB 196A and 196B with concurrent enrollment in the research seminars MCDB 180A and 180B must apply the preceding quarter in which you plan to begin 196A. Please review all the information on this webpage, as well as the forms available for download in the section below. If you have questions after reviewing all the material, please contact the Undergraduate Counselor at email@example.com, or the Undergraduate Office located at 128 Hershey Hall.
- MCDB 196A may only be taken when the MCDB 180A seminar is offered.
- MCDB 196B must be completed the following quarter with 180B.
- The two-quarter series (196A/180A and 196B/180B) are usually offered twice a year in Fall/Winter and Winter/Spring.
- The application deadline for the Fall/Winter offering is the second Friday of August.
- The application deadline for the Winter/Spring offering is Friday Week 6 of the Fall quarter.
Who Is Eligible To Apply For MCDB 196A/B and 180A/B?
- Are doing research with an MCDB faculty member, or a faculty member listed on the MCDB-Approved Faculty Research Mentor List;
- Have completed LS7A, 7B, 7C, 23L, and 107;
- Have completed or are completing at least one quarter in the lab either as a volunteer or enrolled in SRP 99 or 199 (MCDB 199, BMR 199, or in the faculty mentor’s department);
- Have at least a 3.0 overall and major GPA. If you do not have a major GPA at the time, then your prep GPA must be 3.0 or higher.
- Not be working for pay in the sponsor’s lab while receiving academic credit for 196A and 196B.
How do I Apply For MCDB 196A/B and 180A/B?
All of the following forms must be submitted to the Google form link listed below by 5:00PM on deadlines noted above.
- Undergraduate Researcher Application & Acknowledgment Form
- MCD BIO 196A Contract (See instructions on application form)
- Research Project Proposal Guidelines
- Faculty Mentoring Agreement
ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM: https://forms.gle/M25tJ8zFeNGu6mCf7
NOTE: Fourth year students who have NOT fulfilled their laboratory requirement and plan to take MCDB 198 (departmental honors) research courses may use this application along with their MCDB 198 contract. Please contact the MCDB Undergraduate Counselors for detailed instructions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
|Lab Safety Fundamentals Certificate – Effective Fall 2020
You no longer need to submit a safety certificate. My UCLA will verify your safety training status when contract is created. For more information see Laboratory Safety.
The seminars, MCDB 180A (2 units) and 180B (2 units) will be taken concurrently with MCDB 196A and 196B. They will focus on presentation and discussion of the research literature and of each student’s independent research project, and are designed to further enhance your research experience and expose you to the process of scientific discovery by providing hands-on experience applying the scientific method.
How Will These Courses Be Applied To My Major Requirements?
MCDB 196A (4 units) – applied toward the MCDB electives
MCDB 196B (4 units) – fulfill the laboratory requirement
MCDB 180A/B (4 units) – applied toward the MCDB electives
Note: The MCDB major allows up to 4 units of seminar credit to be applied to the major electives. If you complete 180A/B and also take MCDB 191 to complete MCDB Departmental Honors requirements, the 191 seminar will not be applied toward the MCDB electives.
MCDB 193 (Journal Club) and MCDB 194A (Lab Meeting) credit:
If you are working in an MCDB faculty member’s lab, you may be enrolled in these units. See “MCDB 193/194A Enrollment”.